Sunday Mornin' Hope : So long self

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sunday Mornin' Hope : So long self

Post by Psalmist on March 12th 2016, 10:59 pm

Galatians 2:20

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

For the longest time I've never known what this verse meant. Kinda like Nicodemus in John 3 trying to figure out how to be born again. "How do you get back into your mom?" Jesus said some things that were hard to comprehend. How can we be crucified? Do we climb up on a cross and commit suicide? Of course not.

Paul here was speaking about dying to our own selfish desires. There is a balance to all this, and finding it is pretty complicated. I just came off a 8 day ride to Daytona Beach and back. There were many great times and some real testing times. We tend to think all of our ideas are right from the throne of God. When in fact, most of them aren't. Some are just dumb ideas. There's something really good about living with 6 guys for a week. It reveals the intent of the heart and if your priorities are just a little off base.

I've been studying and teaching a book by Charles Stanley called "How to handle adversity". This book is one of those shearing the bad fur type books. In it I have realized just how selfish I have been. I have so far to go in getting rid of my 'stuff'. If you want a little shearing, get a copy. Then YOU read it. Don't get it for someone else. You might need it more than they do.

Romans 6:3

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

When Paul is writing about our 'old man', he's not referencing our dad. He's talking about us and that part we need/want to get rid of. Several times on our ride I would cry in joy and laughter that Jesus would show me so many of my 'mistrakes'. And I really have a lot. He is so kind and faithful to reveal them to us. I'm not sure where it is in the Bible, but it says something like "It's His kindnesses that leads us to repentance."

There's a great song by Mercy Me called "So long self" that really shares what I'm trying to say.

Well if I come across a little bit distant

It's just because I am

Things just seem to feel a little bit different

You understand

Believe it or not but life is not apparently
About me anyways

But I have met the One who really is worthy

So let me say

So long, self

Well, it's been fun, but I have found somebody else

So long, self

There's just no room for two
So you are gonna have to move

So long, self

Don't take this wrong but you are wrong for me, farewell

Oh well, goodbye, don't cry
Oh so long, self

Stop right there because I know what you're thinking

But no we can't be friends

And even though I know your heart is breaking

This has to end

And come to think of it the blame for all of this

Simply falls on me
For wanting something more to life than all of this

Can't you see

Don't feel so bad (don't feel so bad)

There'll be better days (there'll be better days)

Don't go away mad (but by all means)

Just go away, go away, go away

I hope some of this makes sense to you and maybe you're able to relate to what I'm going through. Have a great week and make some travel plans. It's time to ride again. I'm praying for you.

Galations 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me,
and gave himself for
Psalmist
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 1991

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunday Mornin' Hope : So long self

Post by trip on March 13th 2016, 6:57 am

Thanks Dino.

I don't have an attitude...I was just born with lots of character!!!
trip
True Haven Supporter
True Haven Supporter

Male Number of posts : 2765

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top